Women manufacture anti-tank shells at a factory.

Picture Caption
Manufacture of anti-tank shells at the Projectile Shop at William Ewart's rebuilt premises, Crumlin Road Mill, Belfast, December 1943. © Irish Linen Centre and Lisburn Museum

Click for Printable Version
Click for Full Size Image
   Sources
Manufacture of anti-tank shells
Some linen factories converted to munitions production after bomb damage caused by the Blitz in 1941.

Mackies subcontracted the making of shells and parts to Ewart's of Belfast, Herdman's of Sion Mills and Johnston Allen's of Lurgan.

Many women took up traditionally male jobs. The 250 women in Belfsat employed in engineering in 1939 rose to 12,300 in 1945.